Originally Posted By: bws48
Welcome aboard!

Choosing a knife is always based on what you think you will need to do with it in what scenario.

But as far as the "survival" part of your question goes, I like the "Light My Fire Swedish Fire Knife" as it combines what is essentially a Mora knife with a removable fire steel in the handle, thus covering 2 key elements in almost any survival scenario--knife and fire. There was a thread about it here some time ago, and I bought one. They are reasonably priced, and I may get another one to stash in the car. Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Light-Fire-FireKni...edish+fireknife

No association etc., just pleased with what I think is a good idea and a good product.

Just as an FYI for my fellow Ontarians and Canadians, Sail is finally carrying this knife. $39.99 regular price feels way to high for me, so I passed. Never held a Mora before, and I don't doubt their reputation, but it just felt... I don't know... chintzy?... compared to my $30 Ruko.

Hanging my head in preparation for the beating I'm going to take when I announce that my Mother's Day gift this year was a BG Ultimate Survival Knife by Gerber. (Smooth edge, not the serrated version.) I know. I know. We're really torn about it, but the truth is, I like it. It feels good in my hand and I like the weight for what I intend to use it for - wood processing. Jr wanted to get me a new axe and Sr thought I needed a new fixed blade, a thinly veiled attempt to reclaim the Ruko I stole from him, I suspect.) Jr then suggested a machete and a tomahawk, so Sir thought a bigger fixed blade would be a nice in between, and get to what I was after - better wood processing. (Combined with my new Bacho Laplander, I'm laughing!) We set a budget ceiling of about $70-$80 and wanted to buy it locally. It came down to the Gerber, a Buck Vanguard, a LesStroud Camillus and the LMF Mora. The local army surplus guy had an Ontario, Cold Steel, Kershaw, SOG and some other good names, but he's just wayyy too overpriced on that stuff that I dismissed the idea quickly.

I've played with it a little since we got home and I really like it. I'm not letting my hubby know where I keep that Ruko yet though. :-)

Thought I'd give the heads up about the Mora to anyone that might be looking.

Edited by bacpacjac (05/18/13 12:52 AM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA