I think a difference needs to be recognized between the necessity of technological competence and the enjoyment of technology. I am highly competent & my professional life demands this. And, to a lesser degree, my skills allow me to manage my volunteer efforts and even some personal aspects (e.g., media, communications) more easily.

That said, I increasingly do not enjoy technology as an end itself. It is a tool I know how to use well, and things like coding are still fulfilling professionally for me, but when it comes down to it I'd rather be outside & unplugged. I don't desire the new toys but I do sometimes need more effective & efficient tools. And, for me, this is the key: technology is a tool and being able to use current technologies is required to function well and successfully in our society.