I am skeptical. More information would be necessary to come to an informed conclusion. What species of snake? I understand the toxicity of different species of rattle snakes varies by a factor of 100 or so. How much venom was actually injected? A good number of bites are "dry" bites - no venom is transferred. This is one of the reasons why a lot of treatment regimens gain favor.

The doctor's statement sounds a bit over the top. How much experience does he have with snake bites?

When I first came to Arizona and started hiking and climbing, I acquired a snake bite kit. Wore out two of them just carrying them around before folks were advised to not use them. I recall a presentation by a Tucon physician talking about the fifty or so cases he had treated (Thie was back in the 70s). There were two categories of patients - one was young children playing around the home. These were serious, since bites were often on the face. The second category was young males (17-25) who had initiated contact with the critters. Serves them right. Doing SAR around Tucson during my time there, some 500 operations, we had NO instances of snake bite victims.

It is quite easy to avoid snakes. Watch where you step and where you stick your hands. Be cautious when working through thick brush and vegetation. Pay attention to the temperature - this will profoundly influence the activity level of snakes.

Somewhere I have a Cutter venom kit kicking around, although I understand its use is no longer recommended. I no longer bother to carry a snake bite kit; there are far more significant things to include other than a SBK. Rattlesnakes are not unique to deserts or Arizona. They occur in every state in the union except for Maine. There are probably more per acre here in southern California than there are in Arizona (larger prey base).

Rattlesnakes probably provide a net benefit, since they keep rodent populations in check. Rodents may well present more of a hazard to humans than snakes. Think hanta virus and the Black Death. When I encounter a snake, i no longer try to kill it, I go one way and snake goes another. If I do have to dispatch the critter, the most effective tool is a long handled shovel or whatever rock is handy. I save my ammo for more legitimate threats.

Snake bite is vastly overrated as a significant hazard, especially if you use your head.