Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
I think some of these laws are in place 'just in case'. For example, our state parks prohibit any use of alcohol. A quick peek into the recycling bin at the end of the loop reveals a truckload of beer and wine bottles and cans. If some nutcase was terrorizing a neighboring camper by throwing or brandishing a big 'zombie killer' knife, it's nice that a LEO can put a stop to the behavior.
I don't think they are after the people who are splitting wood for the family campfire.

Well, then you described a poorly written law that creates a slippery slope. When legislators create a law that dances around the real issues (e.g., brandishing, threatening, assaulting), then we end up with all types of unintended consequences, like in the present case. What's frustrating to me is that the consequences may be unintended but are certainly foreseeable.

It's easy to write a law that cracks down hard on the unwanted behavior (e.g., brandishing) without gouging everybody's rights with respect to possession. Currently, the crime literally is concealing...dumb.