I love Melitta drip - growing up it was the way that my Mom always made coffee (Folgers). I have a Melitta too for when we have large gatherings and require a full 8 cups, for just my wife and me we use a 4 cup French press and get maybe 4 cups from it between us. I also have a spare Melitta in the cupboard in case the first one breaks or god forbid they stop selling them in the new reality of one-shot keurigs - bought it for $4.99 from some close out store. #4 filters are great too, but long ago I bought a gold filter that presumably leeches less of the acids or bases or something that alters the taste of the coffee oh so incrementally. I can't really tell anymore but at least there's no paper filter to throw away. As I say I prefer the sediments, something to chew on.

I am amazed at some of the coffee folks who get really excited over the best way to make a cup of joe. So much of it is context - I would crawl across hot coals for another cup of Folgers on a cold winter morning, made by my Mom. And even Starbucks Via instant at sunrise up on Mt. Stuart can't be beat. I roast my own beans in a $50 roaster and do pretty darn well if I say so myself, but even that has taught me to appreciate some of the local coffee roasts, especially Café Vita. Half art and half commerce - otherwise its just coffee.