Here's all the gear a baby needs:

Mom.
Dad.
Clean Diapers.
A Baby Sling.
A Britax Car Seat. (don't screw around with any others, I've seen how crap like "Evenflo" and "Graco" performs in an accident, you DON'T want it!)

You don't need bouncing, vibrating, beeping, whooshing, whirling doo-dads.
You don't need things the light up, make sounds, have "high contrast visual stimulation" and are "educational" . Children learn from life, not devices.

Also, you don't need a high chair, special dishes, cribs, oddly-shaped pillows or anything else. Babies need little more than mom and a warm place for the first year, quite frankly they don't know or care if they are living in a school bus or in a palace.

I have two kids, and for the first, we were gear-heads to the extreme, we've learned much since my second child - my daughter - was born at home, as planned. The main thing we've learned is that it's all marketing hype - the mountains of crud they tell you you "need" is nothing more than stuff they are pushing on you because they think they can. It's useless junk. Pick up the baby and provide comfort when it's sad, wrap it in a blanket when it's cold, and above all TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS - NOTHING ELSE. If it feels right, it IS right. If it feels wrong, it IS wrong.

Best of luck to you, it's great fun to be a dad!