Hikermor, those look good. The price looks good too. I may have to order a pair. Thanks for the link.

Note that I didn't say don't ever wear cotton. Blue jeans, Carharts etc are fine for some things. I'm wearing jeans as I type and am about to go out to do some chores. It's sunny and about 40 F (4 C) out today, but we still have about a foot (.3 M) of snow on the ground, which is getting pretty slushy in the sun. At night it has been dropping to below freezing. I'll probably get a little wet doing my chores, which is no big deal, since I can easily go in and get dry.

However, if I were in a survival situation it would be a different story. Trying to build improvised shelters in conditions such as today, one would likey get wet. If you were wearing cotton you could be in serious trouble when the sun went down.

In climates that are always (or almost always) dry, cotton is OK. Likewise in climates that are wet but always warm. But in my part of the world, I generally stick to synthetics for any activity where there is any significant chance I may be stuck outdoors.