I didn't date much in high school. Nothing serious, that's for sure. College? Did I even go out on any date in college? If so, it certainly wasn't very memorable.

Then I got out on my own and started doing volunteer work as a paramedic. And there on the ambulance one day was this wonderful other volunteer girl. She had a shiny new holster with her hemostats, scissors, flashlight, pen, notepad, tourniquet (for IVs), and all the other things paramedics carry. Obviously a newbie given that brand new shiny holster (although new to the ambulance, she was an RN, so not a medical newbie). And that was it. 32 years ago. We're still going strong. BTW, to this day, our old ambulance buddies are still the closest friends we have. We still do all kinds of stuff together. And if it comes to some group survival scenario, what better crowd to be with than a bunch of paramedics and trauma nurses (even though all our paramedic certifications have expired by now - except for the nurses, who have since obtained advanced degrees and are Nurse Practitioners and Flight Nurses now).