OK, some more advice...

I'll second What To Expect When You're Expecting; it's a very valuable resource.

Also, DaveT jogged my memory about a couple of things:
Quote:
every contraption they offer, including (I'm not making this up) baby wipe warmers.

Don't knock the baby wipe warmer. We laughed about one we were given for a gift (I think we actually got a couple.) However, both our children really like having warm wipes. The difference in their demeanor when we cleaned them up with a warm wipe & a cold one was incredible.

Used Stuff: If there are any near you, go to children's consignment sales & shops, and also, garage/yard sales (we like those anyway). Consignment sales are better for concentrated shopping for specific items--you'll pay considerably less, if you can find what you want.

Keep an eye out (new or used) for a Peg Perego "Prima Papa" high chair. Peg Perego is the Rolls Royce of high chairs (& some other lines, too), and they're worth every penny, IMO. They're very versatile. Ours is 5 years old; our son used it until about age 3; our 2 yr old daughter uses it now. We did finally replace the cover this year--but it's seen daily use for 5 years. We even take it on vacation.

Fingernail clippers: Get the baby sized, of course. However, we didn't have any with us in the hospital the first time, but I did have my Victorinox Classic SAK. My wife trimmed our son's nails with it (& I got pictures--you'll take pictures of EVERYTHING!!!), & insisted that I carry it 3 yrs later when our daughter was born. She used it at home for a long while, until they kids grew to the point where the clippers were practical. Now, she's made me retire it (it was EDC) because it's a keepsake, & she's sentimental about it.

Car seat: I agree; buy new. Designs usually improve, and requirements certainly change.

DaveT calls it a "Moses basket", though we used our infant car carrier, with a lockable handle, & called it a "baby bucket". Try out several, but look for 2 features: 1-- a handle that's oriented in the same direction the baby sits/lays, whether that means a "Z" shape, or a pivoting grip. Your wrist will thank you. Smooth inner sides of the handle too, are good--they let you slip the basket up on your arm to the elbow for a change. 2--get one with a docking base that you can leave buckled & adjusted in your vehicle. Get a second base for a second car--not another carrier. My in-laws even got their own docking base so we could transfer to their car easier. The "buckets" just snap & lock into the base, without you having to adjust seat belts each time. You'll save a lot of sanity with this.

Look for a ratcheting seatbelt tensioning device. They're great to make a solid installation easy.

OK, I'll shut up now. I just like kids--they're the best thing that's ever happened to us. It's truly an exciting adventure you're embarking upon.

Best wishes, again.

David