Originally Posted By: Eugene
Originally Posted By: ILBob
I can't effectively plan for TEOTWAWKI. It is just impossible.

Plan for the likely and the same gear and tools for those still put you at an advantage for TEOTWAWKI

Originally Posted By: ILBob

On another forum there are periodic posts from guys who post their bag contents and ask if it is suitable for a 30 mile hike home. I ask why they would want to do so, and generally it is something like there is a blizzard, hurricane, or tornado and my car is stuck so I have to walk home. Trying to focus them toward making better judgment calls about when a 30 mile hike home is a reasonable idea versus when it is just plain foolish is tough.

Or a better vehicle. I almost got stuck in a snow situation and decide the .5mpg different between 2wd and 4wd wasn't worth the savings.

One of the things I get when this question comes up is what about if you are low on gas and the electricity is off? My answer is 30 miles is 2 gallons of gas for most any vehicle. You are actually saying you let the gas tank in your car get below 2 gallons?

I just plain do not understand people who live in snow country that do not have 4WD or AWD. The gas mileage penalty is not that much. Having an appropriate vehicle for the conditions you will likely face is part of adequate preparations IMO.

The other answer I get sometimes is how they got stuck at work 30 miles away during a hurricane or blizzard. My response is how in the heck did a blizzard or hurricane manage to sneak up on you? You get several days of warning on such things.

Bob