I have a hard time wrapping my head around any emergency scenario where heading off into the wild would be the best, or even a good, response. This is one of the main reasons I have such a hard time understanding the need for the type of BOBs we've been discussing that have such a wilderness focus.

In the last "MUSHY thinking" thread I said the following:

Originally Posted By: Denis
Regardless of whether we are talking about primary or back-up plans, an important aspect of preparedness, in my mind, is evaluating risks and understanding what scenarios make the most sense to prepare for.

One of the things I really I like about ETS is that it puts realistic bounds on preparedness and survival. We typically don't look at unrealistic or improbable events (i.e., this is not a survivalist site). We don't plan for apocalypses, alien invasions or the fall of civilization. This isn't a forum to figure out how to live in a Mad Max wasteland.

I stand by this position; I find this site to be highly practical in how it deals with preparedness.

Maybe I'll start up a separate thread to delve into the idea of bugging out to the wilderness further.