Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
And ran/jogged/ran jogged five miles on a dirt road for five miles, just to see if I could do it.

My problem is, there is no place within five miles that would do me any good to bug out to. Not within ten miles. Not within twenty miles. And I live right next to the mountains. 20 miles would put me in the foothills (heavily populated by escapees from surburban sprawl), 40 miles would get me to the actual high peaks (I guess I could homestead at one of the ski resorts in the area).

Unfortunately, "the mountains" are where everybody thinks they would bug out to, as if it's all unclaimed wilderness that would be some kind of easy living. In reality, you'd be bugging out to somebody elses private property and would probably be shot for trespassing in a mass survival situation. "The mountains" are not the unlimited wilderness people imagine them to be, with all kinds of game and wild plant edibles just waiting for you to run up there and grab for your 30 year survival plan. While we may dream of hiking on up to some remote and lavish corner of the Yukon to live out our days after a mass disaster, that just won't be the reality for 99.9999% of us.

If I have to bug out to somewhere (where?), it's going to have to be my good old Ford F150 4x4 that gets me there, not my Vasque hiking boots. The farthest I can image walking is the 20 feet between the truck and the campsite right next to the truck. To traverse that 20 feet, I may have to actually walk 50 feet to weave and navigate around the rest of the crowd at the campsite.