A layered approach, thats how I've setup.

Each family member has a basic backpack, 4 camelbaks to be specific. A grab one thing and go situation such as a house fire those are to be grabbed, They contain some clothing, and mine sopare vehicle keys so we can get in our vehicles and back away from the burning house and get dressed.

Then each person has a pre-packed hotel/motel kit. This has any normal toiletries and OTC medicines we may need. I rotate stock through them, for example when its time for a new toothbrush it goes in the kit and the oe from the kit goes into the bathroom to replace the old one. Those hang on a closet wall right above the suitcases so a situation where you have >5 minutes to go we can just drop those into the suitcases with some additional clothes out of the closet and go.

Then you have the next layer which I have a surplus ALICE pack with various campng gear, our sleeping bags, etc. If you have more time to pack after the suitcases then those go.

I made up a checklist with items in that order after the time my wife had to pack while I was coming home from work.
We simply work down the list based on the amount of time we have to evac.

When making out of town trips then the same list is used. and pick and choose from the list as needed.

Now before someone starts with the "I bug in not out" the same layers are used there. Power goes out I know my flashlight is inthe front pocket of the backpack not buried in the junk drawer or garage smoeplace. Tornada, grab the backpacks to shelter in the basement. Having your gear organized makes it easier to bug in or out.