Of course, we're reminded today of a different need for a BOB, and one that our family has a totally different kind of kit for - house fire or local evacuation.

This isn't my ride in the Jeep, I might have to hoof it GHB/BOB, but rather a kit for the entire family in case of a house fire or local evacuation. This one's designed for a quick middle of the night dash out of the house and into a hotel or staying with friends and family for a few days. It's packed and ready to go in the front closet of the house. Off the top of my head, it's got:

-a couple changes of clothes (x4 for DH, DS, DSD and me)
-footwear (x4)
-toiletries
-copies of important documents
-cash (bills and coins)
-emergency credit card
-teddy bear, blankie, special pillow
-diapers, wipes, formula, bottles and bottled water, receiving blankets, onsies, sleepers, soother, butt cream, change pad, purelle, headlamp...
-flashlights and a small LED lantern
-fleece blankets (x4)
-water bottles (x4)
-FAK with OTC and prescription meds
-disposable ponchos (x4)
-hats and mitts (x4)
-cel phone charger for hubby's phone
-family picture

IMO, in my AO, something like the explosion in Texas yesterday, along with a house fire, are the main reasons I envision our family bugging out. We're in the heart of a manufacturing area, and major national transportation routes cuts through the area. We've also got two nuclear reactors in our region, just to up the ante a little bit.

BTW, when we plan a family road trip, these are the things I make sure we have packed. It's very dependant on distance for me, the further we go from the house, the more it becomes a priority. I don't necessarily pack a separate bag for it, since most of it we take with us anyway, whether we're going to Grandma's for the weekend or on a week long camping trip up North.

We've been stuck out of town before because of snow storms and a vehicle breakdown. We've spent impromptu time in hotels, relatives homes and in our vehicles on the side of the road. I've never felt like any of those were survival situations, and that's at least in small part due to good preps. Along with my GHB/BOB that lives in the Jeep, we're prepared to face most situations as a family without having to pack the kitchen sink every time just in case.

Edited by bacpacjac (04/18/13 10:32 AM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA