I think often when we are incredulous about someones BOB / INCH / whatever list it shows a disconnect in fundamental assumptions and risk assessments between us and the list's owner.

For example, on another thread I implied that I thought the concept of an INCH bag was, using TeacherRO's phrase, an example of MUSHY thinking. This is because, according to my knowledge and assessment of the risks facing us in most of the Western World (or at least US / Canada), that there is such an extremely low probability that such a kit would be required that I think the concept itself is needless.

Many BOBs seem to fall into a similar category for me, though I think certain locations do have risks that could make some of the BOBs I've seen make sense. That said, in my location I really don't see the need for one (at least not the "traditional" BOB we are discussing here).

Therefore, rather than discussing how many guns or knives are necessary, it might make sense first to have a discussion about what situations would require the use of said kit, and what plans the kit would be required to facilitate.