Not a BOB'er here. I do carry certain daily items to get me around though. One item I carry is about 6 quarters. Not especially for a payphone, although they can be used in a payphone.

If you paid attention to the coverage of the Boston marathon bombing, people could not get out on cell phones due to traffic saturation. It has happened before and will happen again. If you want another backup means of communication, the payphone, if found, will provide a means to phone home.

The quarters are also good for a drink or some food items in vending machines, most require power. In a dire situation a rock may be the way to the goodies. Would have to be very dire.

The rest of my EDC is a Victorinox Rambler knife, keys with a P-38 and Tweezers attached. A Fisher Space Pen, Burt's Bees chapstick, wallet, comb, cell phone, O light i1 flashlight, spare battery, eyeglasses and a watch.

I have never needed anything beyond this. Bugging out will not be something on a moments notice, so if I need to leave I can pack accordingly. We don't have hurricanes, floods, tornados or earthquakes here. Not much to run from what I can tell.