Another is the Continuing Series, "What's Happening in the National Parks"

Buffalo National Scenic River (AR)
Two Make Unsuccessful Effort To Cross River In SUV

On April 6th, district ranger and swiftwater technician Kevin Moses was off duty at his private residence a half mile from a busy river launch area when he was contacted by visitors who advised him that an SUV was partially submerged in the river at Mt. Hersey Campground. They also said that they did not know if anyone was in the vehicle or in immediate danger. Moses headed to the campground, where he observed a 1992 Chevy Blazer in the middle of the river, facing upstream, with the entire lower half of its body submerged in the very swift, cold current. Moses donned swiftwater PPE for swimming and/or wading to the vehicle, conducted a quick risk analysis using the SPE model, determined the operation to be well within "The Green," and called for a wrecker. Ranger and swiftwater technician Melissa Moses arrived on scene a few minutes later and provided downstream throw bag safety while Kevin Moses made his way to the vehicle. He determined that no one was in, around, or under it and attached the cable from the wrecker, which pulled it from the river without incident. Moses impounded the vehicle until he could determine who its owner and/or driver was. Investigation revealed that a brother and sister had borrowed the vehicle from an associate to “test the four-wheel drive” prior to possibly purchasing it and decided that attempting to cross the four-foot-deep river, flowing at 1,100 cubic feet per second, would serve perfectly for such a test. The driver was issued violation notices for careless operation, leaving the scene of an accident, and creating a hazardous condition. After being questioned about the eight empty beer cans floating in the SUV’s interior, the passenger was issued a violation notice for possession of an open container of an alcoholic beverage.

Would someone please brinng me up to date. What in the dickens is "risk analysis using the SPE model"? Is it any different from standing on the bank, scratching your head, and thinking "I dunno about this?" (I've done that for years).

Cheers

Edited by hikermor (04/13/13 07:14 PM)
Edit Reason: typo