We started by giving our son a whistle on a lanyard and little backpack (Eureka Joe Dawg) when he was about two and a half. He was just little so only carried his Teddy and a little flashlight in it. As long as he could walk on hikes on his own two feet (i.e. not in the stroller) we started teaching him stop-drop-and-roll and hug-a-tree.

When he got a bit bigger, maybe threeish, we added his jacket and a juice box or water bottle, and a little snack. All small and lightweight. (I.e. jr juice box, one pack of dunkaroos or mini oreos - good food means happier memories ad more enthusiasm the next time.) We tired to keep his load light and often carried his stuff for him when he didn't want to or was too tired, and it's well we did. We didn't the downside infringe upon all the good and, as he gets older, he seems to love being outdoors more, and in equal proportion to his ability to be more independent in it.

It's important to my husband and I that our kids learn how to handle themselves in the outdoors if they're going to be playing in it. A solid edc will cover urban events as well as ones off the pavement. As the kids get older they can get more specific and specialized, with things like keys, money, fire, knife, etc.

Our son wants to do a weekend overnighter in the back forty behind my cousins house this summer - no adults allowed except his big sister - and we're going to let him.(All the parents are in on the planning for this three kid excursion - my cub scout son who will be 10, my 14 year old air cadet nephew and my 24 year old step-daughter.). It's still a few months away but he's already asked if, when it's over, could he do a week long survival trip. Hmmmm.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA