Originally Posted By: Lono
A Mt. Hood Mountain Locator Unit or a PLB would have aided her rescue. Although you can't initiate rescue with an MLU, if someone knows you are past your return time Portland Mountain Rescue can run a trace and most times determine where you are and if you're moving. Its older tech and a PLB is better, you press the button and help comes, but an MLU rents for only $5 at FS and REIs, so not much of an excuse not to carry one. Unfortunately she may pay with her toes, sorry about that.

Climbing permits are only required after May 15 so its possible she registered remotely, or possibly incorrectly - I've seen climbers on Mt Rainier actually drop their climbing registrations into the overnight hiker boxes, which the FS tends to collect and correct the climbers for afterwards - trail capacity is always an issue around Rainier and they will do daily counts to make sure campsite reservations are respected and properly filed. Since it came before the climbing permit season, I would speculate some snafu might have happened such that her registration was overlooked by FS staff. In these times of Congressional sequestration, the FS is hampered with staff issues and struggling to keep the parks open (NO political comment whatsoever, just stating the budgetary facts and outfalls).

The usual number of cascading errors leading to her being a lost hiker, and the usual amount of good luck and grit leading her to being found and alive. Could have turned the other way easily. Treating any mountain like a solo walkup before you actually have experience on the hill seems to be a common theme these days.

All true. Her climb would have been considered, officially as a winter climb and not a climb during the normal May-Sep season.

I would guess that not every person attempting a climb of Mt. Hood has mountaineering experience and training, thus the number of non-summit climbs and the high numbers of searches and rescues. I am sure not all that go out are aware of the locator being available or where to rent one. A cell phone works well on Mt. Hood because of the clear line of sight to cell towers. One must have a phone and a charged battery.

As far as sign out goes, it is understandable that spending cuts have an impact. However, how hard is it to check a register to see of someone is out and if they return? If it is not something that can be maintained, then do away with it altogether, it causes a sense of security that is unreliable. On the other hand, it cost more for a SAR effort when you have no idea where a person was intending to travel and if you have less information. The sign out could have aided searchers, like it is supposed to do. That would have made a successful search easier and faster.

Mt. Rainier being a National Park has more manning, more rules and more personnel to do a SAR mission. Mt. Hood is run by the Forest Service and is not treated to the same governmental respect as Mt. Rainier. Sign outs are more like trail hiking sign outs and not like a climbing permit system. I have not been there for 25+ years, so I am sure there are many changes to procedures and responsibilities.

Bottom line, the young lady is alive and she deserves respect for her abilities. She survived when many others would not have.