Originally Posted By: Pete

2. What kinds of unexpected problems happen along evacuation routes ... like gas stations being out-of-gas, drivers doing crazy stuff, lines of traffic stalled for hours etc ?

These are things to expect, not unexpected.

Originally Posted By: Lono
Not too likely I'd evac from the PNW because we just don't have the type of crisies I'd evaucate from.

Volcano? Earthquake? Tsunami? Large chemical spill from a train derailment into a stream that feeds into the lake serving as the municipal water supply?

Volcano isn't laughable. St. Helens was rumbling for many weeks but public evacuation orders only preceded the main event by two weeks. It *should* be an orderly evac, but...

Evacuations are hazardous and unpredictable. With a hurricane there's a risk you're still on the road in a car when the fun starts. With an Earthquake I'd try to put off evacuating for days at least, to give authorities a chance to organize the evacuation routes.

After hurricane Ike there were refugees at least 200 miles inland. Any large-scale evac (hundreds of thousands and up) is probably going to saturate every hotel until you get to New Mexico at least.

Don't forget that Cash is King and credit/debit/ATM cards often useless.