Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
IMO, this isn't being disrespectful or dimissive. He answered your question honestly and simply, and didn't start an argument by elaborating on the whys of his answer. It's not fair to bait someone and then accuse them of being disrespectful just because they happen to hold a different view than yours.

You asked - twice. If you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question

I didn't say he was disrespectful or dismissive. I said his behavior was hypocritical. Let me use an analogy. In effect, sybert made the two statements:

1. Hey, guys, we're here to discuss how to cook, not the merits of national cuisines.

2. I don't have to follow my own rule, and I say French food sucks.

Also, what question did I ask twice? "Hey, guys, do you think the 'Third Man' is a hallucination?" No, I did not ask that specific question, but I left it open-ended. Again, to use an analogy, I asked: "What about boeuf bourguignon?" When one could answer possibly with something like "adding bacon in the beginning enhances the flavor," he answered, "Boeuf bourguignon is great!"

The content of the question is immaterial to my objection. What I object to is hypocrisy.