Originally Posted By: sybert777
I would like help understanding the usefulness of faith, or religious beliefs in a survival situation.

My position is that faith, specifically a Christian worldview, can help in a survival situation (I am not really in a position to speak about other faiths so I will only speak to my own).

My worldview, in part, says the world is broken and I should expect hardship and pain, but that this life is not all there is; that ultimately this brokenness has been overcome and everything will be reconciled in the end. Therefore, I am free to live without fear or worry. This allows me to focus on dealing only with the things that are under my control and frees me from worrying about those things that are not.

There are certain disciplines, like prayer, and the relational aspects of the faith that would come into play during an emergency, but ultimately it is the convictions I hold (i.e., my worldview) that provides me with peace and strength when hard times come.