I suspect like some others on the forum we are nervous to enter in what could become a violation of the forum rules and which has the potential to become divisive in nature, so I will tread as lightly as possible.

I believe I am spiritual being and that religion can be the source of greatness and progress or debasement and despair depending upon how the actions of the followers of a particular faith reflect and live the precepts and teachings of their faith in dealing with others and in their daily lives.

Growing up I had little use for religion and felt more inclined to adhere to an agnostic belief system. Partially because I had strong attraction to science, I felt that it would be more appropriate to keep an open mind on the existence of a supreme being, neither believing nor disbelieving. Then one day, while sitting in a chemistry class I had a revelation. The professor was explaining entropy as the natural order of things is to become disordered or seek their lowest degree of disorder. He used the example that if you tossed a pile of bricks into the air the bricks would fall into a pile and not a wall. That if you were to hit a wall of bricks with a strong enough wind, causing the bricks to be swept up in the wind, it would fall into a pile of disorganized bricks and not into the structure of another wall. At that moment, thinking of the organization of the human body, the thousands of biochemical reactions occurring every moment in the body to maintain organization and function convinced me that there had to be a supreme entity organizing the universe.

Since that moment I have never doubted the existence of a supreme being and have drawn upon that belief many times in life.

Just my 2 cents-

Pete