Originally Posted By: Pete
Oddly enough, my own experience is that very few Christians practice serious meditation. I am talking about the kind of "Eastern meditation" that involves clearing the mind and focusing on breathing.

Oh, but there are such spiritual practices in the Christian tradition, it's just that most people don't know about them or don't do them. Similarly, while we associate "Eastern spirituality" with meditation, being all tranquil and Zen-like, in actuality much of Buddhism is about more "boring" stuff like developing an intellectual understanding of the doctrines, fund-raising for charities and operation costs, etc.

Anyway, I only know one Christian technique, and I would not recommend it in a survival situation because you tend to get lost of the track of time. You're in a different state of consciousness and every thing just flies by fast. That brings up an issue: time. Some medieval warriors had "abbreviated" spiritual practices as well as long versions. The abbreviated ones were for surprise engagements where you didn't have a whole hour to focus and all that good stuff.

So what's the SOP here? If you're lost in the wilderness, open your survival kit, make tea, meditate for five minutes while the tea is steeping?