Originally Posted By: Denis

Actually, I think Bear Grylls' covered this topic pretty well in his book "Living Wild" and I would basically echo his thoughts on this matter (you can check it out online here - p.249). The wisest thing he does, in my opinion, is to not try and come up with generic practises or methods or even speak to how faith & spirituality is helpful in a generic sense, but rather simply writes about what his faith means to him and how it helps him.

OK, it makes some sense that this could be quite dependent on the person and the worldview he chooses. Not all religions are about faith. So if you happen to be in one for which faith is important (i.e., Christianity), then that's what you might draw on for strength. You have been attuned to certain things, and those things get activated in a survival situation. (I'm trying to come up with a rational, non-theological explanation.)

But then Christians (some Christians anyway) do believe in praying and communicating with the divine on some very practical matters. So there are specific practices you can do to draw strength and even guidance.

So no one wants to talk about the Third Man?