There is 100% no doubt in my mind that my belief in a higher power helps in a survival situation. I've been weak and close to what felt like death. I had only enough energy to resign myself to a belief that God would get me through it. I literally had no energy for anything else. Now, for me to be healthy and suddenly act as if God doesn't exist would be traitorous. I'm not particularly religious either, but I certainly believe in God. In other words, I feel like my relationship with God is direct and unhindered by church and/or any religious customs.

By the way, atheism seems like a religion to me. Atheists tend to be just as fanatical, or more fanatical, in their belief in no God than, for example, Christians believe in God. Indeed, atheism has a set of rules and customs just like other religions. If you swear there is no heaven and pray there is no hell, then you are conceding to the fact that there is a possibility that heaven or hell does exist. A bit of a paradox I know, but that paradox seems to separate us from non-human animals.

Don't mind me too much. I humbly admit I could be wrong about atheism. My knowledge of atheism comes primarily from what I observe from admitted atheists.

Whatever your beliefs are, I certainly hope you are able to tap into a reserve energy source if you are ever in a situation where you feel like death is upon you.