Originally Posted By: hikermor

One puzzling thing I have encountered about the RC. Fifty years ago, when I was drafted into the Army and serving out my time, I encountered more than a few career soldiers who swore up and down that they would never contribute anything to the RC. Why? That wasn't very clear, but it seemed to have something to do with the RC selling doughnuts and coffee to troops in dire need. Does anyone know more about this? I suspect it is a giant urban legend, but the attitude has always puzzled me....

I have heard the story about the RC selling coffee and donuts to soldiers too. I don't think they were in dire need at the time. What kind of dire need would there ever be for coffee and donuts? Soldiers seemed to prefer the USO back then because they were not charged.

Oddly, my understanding is that the USO operated mostly off of donations from soldiers. I guess they did not mind paying as long as they were not charged.

Bob