One of my retirement jobs has been recruiting and training poll workers for major elections. During the last presidential election, one of my steady workers called me and stated that the Rec Cross, for whom she also volunteered, needed her in Washington, D.C. to get ready for Sandy, then threatening NYC; hence she would be unable to participate in our local festivities. And,just like that, she was gone! This incident provided me with just a glimpse of the sort of planning, preparation, and effort that goes into working major disasters - not all of it readily visible. I, for one, am glad we have organizations like the Red Cross, even if they don't put gourmet chocolates on my pillow in a shelter.

One puzzling thing I have encountered about the RC. Fifty years ago, when I was drafted into the Army and serving out my time, I encountered more than a few career soldiers who swore up and down that they would never contribute anything to the RC. Why? That wasn't very clear, but it seemed to have something to do with the RC selling doughnuts and coffee to troops in dire need. Does anyone know more about this? I suspect it is a giant urban legend, but the attitude has always puzzled me....