Lono,

Thanks for the good info, and thanks for the all the good work the Red Cross does. About the only direct experience I've had with the Red Cross (aside from CPR classes) has been a couple of times they showed up at some major SAR events with food and coffee, which was very much appreciated by all of us volunteers.

So far (knocking on wood) I have never had the need to use a shelter, but it is great to know that they will be available if/when I need one. It is also great to know that they will be well run by people such as yourself. Disasters are by nature unpredicable. A key part of preparation, in my opinion, is being flexibe, adaptable, and open minded. That means being ready to utilize all kinds of resources, if and when and where you need them. Being locked into a particular mind set is not a good survival plan.

I would also encourage everyone on the forum to consider joining or assisting some sort of volunteer organization related to survival. There are lots of opportunties, including the Red Cross, volunteer SAR teams, volunteer fire departments, CERT teams, Boy/Girl Scouts and many others. You will get some useful training, work with a great bunch of like minded people, and contribute to making your community a better place.