Originally Posted By: Montanero
The way I teach land navigation is always beginning with map and compass first. Only after mastering this do I begin to teach GPS. If you learn to navigate without the GPS, then you are a much better operator of the GPS. The key with a GPS is to not blindly follow its directions. You must still plan your route, terrain associate and be aware of you surroundings. GPS is an awesome tool, but used poorly can get you into trouble.

You nailed it. Learn traditional navigation first, and you will get much more out of using a GPS.

I'm mostly out in fairly rugged terrain, and I can usually navigate quite well with just a map, by terrain association. But as hikermor noted up thread, some environments are much tougher to navigate in. Flat land with thick woods can be hard, because there are few if any good landmarks, and the woods make it difficult to see whatever landmarks there might be. In those cases, a compass is invaluable, and a GPS is even better.

Maps, compass, and GPS are all tools. I try to keep my skills sharp with all of them.