Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: KenK
Would a handgun be enough to stop a grissly? (aside from making a lucky shot) I've always wondered about that.

Yes and no. Your standard pistol calibers wouldn't do much unless you quite literally got lucky shot it in the eye and it went into the brain. That being said there are handguns in calibers that can handle a grizzly bear. High caliber magnum load revolvers. Stuff like that.

Ruger makes a pistol called the "Alaskan" that is chambered in .454 Casull. So there's that. I think it also can fire .45 Colt Longs. But don't quote me on that. Seems to be a resurgence of rifle and pistols that fire .45 Colt Long.

I recall some years ago someone in Alaska actually saying "Just bring a .22. Several shots at a bear will scare it away." Which is like attacking a battleship with a baseball bat. Not gonna work out well.

REDACTED

Back on topic, yes, you can hunt bear with the larger calibers. My ... second cousin? ... used to be big into pistol hunting. I would assume that, at close enough range, a .44 mag (maybe smaller, but would you want to find out) would do the trick. Again, shot placement is KEY.

Edited by chaosmagnet (03/10/13 03:16 AM)
Edit Reason: Inappropriate political commentary