This will be my second forum today and second forum expounding my love for the long handled spoon. In my mind the MRE spoon is only second to the Army Poncho Liner in perfect military execution of a product.

Aside from my hands, the long handled spoon is my preferred weapon of choice in eating.

The handle is long enough to fit in a shirt pen pocket and not fall out. It is also the perfect extension of your arm to snake a bite of food from your buddy plate or pouch. The bowl, wide enough to hold a decent bite of food but narrow enough to get in your mouth before your pilfered provision is smacked out your hand by a disgruntled owner.

I have several, and I mean several, civilian spoons that mimic the MRE spoon. The titanium, the lexan, the aircraft aluminum. The stainless steel. The list goes on I suppose. I like the steel and titanium versions best simply because they don't have any texture to the bowl, just a very slick and mostly shiny surface.

I used to have a bunch of those plastic neon sporks but they break easily in cold weather. And depending on the container, they are not long enough to reach the bottom of a pouch and you end up with food on your hand scooping the bottom.

A spork is fun to pull out for laughs but when it comes down to serious eating, my Top 3 utensils in order: Hands, Long handle spoon. Stick.