Originally Posted By: Lono
I would be confident that the same facility would respond to a fall, or a fall resulting in a severe cut, differently than the decision to perform CPR. This woman had her heart attack in the dining area, and a similar fall resulting in pain to her hip or bleeding to her head would get approximately the same medical treatment - call 911, otherwise keep the patient immobile until arrival.

Given the available evidence, I'm unable to have your level of confidence in the staff. Also, given the staff are not medical practitioners they are not in a position to diagnose why the woman was in distress, whether it was due to natural or other causes. Heart failure isn't the only reason one could collapse & not be breathing; she could have choked on some food & collapsed and without someone noticing, for example.

Originally Posted By: Lono
Apply pressure to the cut to reduce bleeding, but otherwise do not administer first aid. You have EMTs 7 minutes away. You would be nuts to move a woman with a broken or dislocated hip, or to begin to apply dressings to a head lac, which just have to be ripped off when the EMTs arrive on scene.

No one is suggesting the staff should have done anything more than simple first aid. As far as I am concerned, CPR for an non-breathing victim is the equivalent to RED for a deadly bleed. These are emergency techniques applied by non-medical people while awaiting for medical help.