I think we should all read between the lines with the new rules. Read the former head of Tranportation Security's comments, pause, and think. Undestand he is very limited in what he can say, yet he has seen it all. He is not some random guy on the Internet blogging.

Do you think TSA is allowing these small knives to be cool? No, my take on all this that there are real, serious threats that TSA is trying to stop. TSA has come to the realization that their resources are limited. So, TSA analyzed the threat possibilities, worked the numbers, and decided they could substantially increase security if forces on the ground (at the gate) do not have to waste valuable resources dealing with the many tiny knives, when the next guy in line could have plastic explosives intricately packed.

The air Marshalls can protest and moan, but seriously if an air Marshall can't handle a guy trying to take over a plane with a SAK, then that air Marshall needs to be fired. I'm not even a trained air Marshall and SAK's on the plane do not scare me. Plus, as far as I know, air Marshalls do not have all the information that TSA heads have.

We all have complained about what we see about TSA, but what we see are the ground forces. I'm certain at the higher levels, there are some brilliant people doing the best they can with the limited resources they have.