Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Yes, this situation was rather unusual. My mother before retiring as an R.N. was a head nurse for a local nursing home and assisted living facility for several years. She gave CPR on practically a daily basis there. She was totally baffled at this story.

Sounds to me like liability issue. A stupid one. One of many, obviously.

Apparently just helping people is now frowned upon. Ridiculous. If I had been there I would've performed CPR. To quote a U.S. Navy officer "I care more about your precious little lives than your precious little feelings."

A nursing home is licensed to provide medical care. An assisted living facility is not. It is that simple.

I don't know why the "nurse" on the phone refused to give the phone to a bystander. We are kind of assuming it was a real nurse, but for all we know it might well have been the receptionist or the bus driver that called. Why would an assisted living place have a nurse anyway? Most that I am aware of don't.

naval officers have a responsibility under both law and naval regulations to take care of those they are in charge of. An assisted living facility is generally banned from providing any medical care to its residents.

Bob