I assume most of us have already heard the news story over the weekend of the 87-year old woman who collapsed at an "independent living facility" and the 911 dispatcher pleaded with the nurse (LVN? RN?) to do CPR but per company policy, she refused. A DNR was not the issue. Just a no-CPR, let EMS respond to any medical situations policy.

From a common sense perspective, it sounds outrageous. But I didn't really want to scream and shout about that aspect of the story, otherwise I would've posted this in the Campfire.

I was wondering if there are other situations out there where a no CPR policy like this exists? My mom is getting up in years and eventually may end up in a situation like this. I just wanted to find out about other situations like this.

Apparently, the residents at this facility are all told of this policy up front when they sign up. But what about guests? Are there other places we go where we definitely will NOT be getting CPR or maybe even basic first aid per company policy? I'd just like be aware of this in places I or my mom frequent.