Neat article on Time magazine's Battleland Blog about a contract being let for PSKs for the Naval Special Warfare Group (SEAL Team Six). Having worked on the specifications for other military survival kits I found it interesting how this one differs from those.

The specifications shown are much less detailed than the ones used for the folks for whom we worked. Those included material specifications, operational parameters and testing standards.

This solicitation seems like a 'sole-source' contract to replace kits the Navy has previously procured. There's a link in the story to the commercial vendor who sells the kits to the Navy.

The Battleland Blog has some very good reporting on all manner of things military in nature from procurement decisions to treatments for PTSD and histories of soldiers in combat.

To quote from the solicitation:

Beyond those particulars, the hard case shall be:

– Capable of limited cooking without effecting the container finish (i.e. paint bubbling)
– Capable of being used as a limited digging implement without affecting its ability to house contents (simultaneous function of digging and housing not required).
– Shall have a weather resistant gasket able to keep out water during minor water immersion (i.e. river crossings, swimming)
– Shall have a fastening system that is reuseable and secure to prevent accidental openings
– Top surface of kit must have permanently affixed a 2” x 3” piece of loop fastener (i.e. soft side of velcro)
– Ruggedized to take heavy abuse while carried without damage to inner contents
– Case shall securely hold all items below without rattling or other noises.

Government procurement is it's own wacky universe.

Edit: A quick search of the government's online contracting site found this solicitation for SERE kits.

Edited by Andy (02/21/13 03:44 PM)