Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
Originally Posted By: AKSAR
Based on my own experience, I have a very hard time believing 60% in 6 months, for either down or synthetic.
Yes, it is very unlikely to be the difference between life and death. In most conditions, assuming you have reasonably adequate clothing, you should be able to survive a night inside a car (dry and protected from the wind) even without a sleeping bag. I'm not saying you will be comfortable or happy, or sleep much, but you will survive the night.

AKSAR,
..... Not all the testing has shown the same amount of loss, but all I have seen indicate more than 50%. That COULD be enough to make it life threatning.
It would be especially bad if the weather were colder than you anticipated.

Although it is unlikely to be the difference, in most conditions, the idea of equipping to survive is not for the likely circumstance under most conditions. All about the unlikely and the worst conditions.

Jerry,
I think our difference of opinion results from two points. First is the question of what clothing one is wearing. I said "reasonably adequate clothing". By that I meant adequate for the outside conditions. If you are wearing or have with you clothing suitible to be outside of the car in the current weather (whatever it might be), then inside the car you should be able to survive. Cars don't insulate well, and cool down quickly. But assuming no damage, most cars give excellent protection from wind and wet. Seat cushions give reasonable insulation to sit on.

The other point is that there is a big difference between surviving and being comfortable. Spending a night in a cold car without a sleeping bag will not be fun. You won't sleep much, if at all. You will not be a happy camper in the morning, but you will be alive. I have, on several occaisions, spent a night out without a bag, in improvised shelters, but wearing good clothing. Protection from the wind and wet is key. My experience is that I might fall asleep for a few moments, but then wake up shivering. I shiver for awhile, then maybe fall asleep again for a minutes. Repeat until morning. Not a pleasant night, but definately survivable.

If you are not wearing adequate clothing, then the situation changes, of course. In cold weather I see lots of people hop into cars very lightly dressed. They seem to assume that since they are going from a warm house to a warm car to a warm shopping mall there is no need to dress for the cold. If for any reason they got stuck on the road they would be in serious trouble.

"Dress for Success" is my motto. smile

Edited by AKSAR (01/25/13 07:25 PM)
Edit Reason: fixed typo