My house was built in the 1930's by Sea Scouts as a club project,code? Whats that?? Add in a bunch of mickey mouse repairs and this is what my outdoor service porch looks like,crazy!

Some of the uninsulated pipes,these havent frozen before but 13 degrees and me not home,froze enough they did...

These 2 pics you can see the repair with the tape...

Now the lessons learned.The tape is air activated,comes in a mylar pouch.You open it,drop in water to cover 20-30 secs.

I opened it in the house to look at it.Then folded back in pack,gathered a few goodies,took about 7-10 minutes.

Got it outside,in water,and it had already seriously started to harden.Good thing I got 2!

First roll....ruined,got hard partially and not much sticky at all.....

Cleaned pipe with sandpaper,wiped clean.Apply resin impregnated fiberglass tape tightly,pulling hard.Then as it starts curing you twist it on tighter in direction you rolled it on,it actually does move a bit and tightens. Cures in 30 minutes at 75 degrees,at 25F here,so let it cure 2 hours,it is rock hard.

Turned on water,SUCCESS.At least on leak.Have toilet and bathtub and sink COLD water only.Kitchen....nope. But it will warm up here by Thursday,and toilet and any running water is nice

Got some pipe coverings I will put on when thawed. I do have heat tape to what is accessible and it does help a lot.

Lesson,get more of the stuff,and some pipe repair clamps from INTERNET now,no good to have to order them when pipe fails.If I had them I wouldnt have any frozen pipes because the water would still have been running.Dont know why pipe burst,it was partially frozen,must have been enough to take out a rusty inside old pipe. Also got fittings to remove and fix the section this summer.And picked up a couple cans map gas for torch,dont need that to run out in an emergency situation.

Edit-the repair is ROCK HARD,good stuff and after searching web seems to be the best price too at Lowes.Its about 50% more at amazon and ebay.Going to pick up 4 more,woulda saved me about 450 when I split a pipe when I first moved here.

Edited by spuds (01/15/13 05:07 AM)