Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Finally, would it be obscene to put a bright red racing stripe on each side of the blade? Paint, I mean. It's awfully easy to lose a tool this size in brush and snow.
I don't think it would be obscene at all, I would call it practical.

Once when fussing with something on a boat I layed a dark colored multi tool down on the beach. The beach was made of bits of black shale. What people sometimes call "shingle". Had a devil of a time finding the tool before the tide came in. On another occaision we were taking a break while hiking. It was easy terrain at that point and I had my poles strapped to my pack. My wife layed hers down on the ground while we had lunch. The poles were a sort of brownish color. After a nice long break we managed to get up and walk off, not really paying attention, and didn't realize we had forgotten her poles till we were miles down the trail.

Since then I always make a point to take a very carefull look around before leaving a rest stop or campsite. I also often mark small or dark colored things that are easy to loose. I bought a length of bright orange nylon cord, and put short loops on the handles of my pocket knives. (I won't by a folder anymore that doesn't have a place to attach a lanyard.) I got some dayglow pink duct tape, and put a few wraps around each of our hiking poles. Just something to make a thing stand out when it's laying on the ground.