Doug,

I have several Pal's and have used them for years. Like Stephen I don't like the open handled version. I do, however like the military model with the guard. As NurseMike indicated, they are the Leatherman of bushwacking. Great for a surveyor cutting sight lines, hook for brush, blade for branches and shovel to dig out the monument.

DON'T put grip tape on it. It is designed to rotate in the hand to reduce the impact on the hand (from the WWII instructions). I use body oil and an occasional coat of Snow Seal or Mink Oil for the leather.

Keep the blade angles the way they are. Grinding them different is usually an error (don't ask!). They worked out a good general purpose grind. If you had a specific purpose in mind you could (like an axe) change it, but you loose the general purpose nature of the blade.

I think a stripe (not red, it is a camo color (or colour for you northerners)) smirk would help but the most important one is on the sheath if you don't belt carry. A bright orange sheath helps. I might paint the whole blade, repaint as necessary.

Most of all enjoy a well made tool - in my mind always a great thing.

Respectfully,

Jerry

Edited by JerryFountain (01/13/13 04:25 AM)