Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
Backpacjack'

Excellent bag for your purpose. Two suggestions. Make sure you have a GOOD bag for the kettle if you are going to use Esbit tabs - very sticky black crud that rubs off on everything else.

If you want to go lighter, a Ti pot/cup (I use a Snow Peak 700) over a lighter bottle will reduce some weight and in either case you don't need both the cup and kettle. Thanks to the crew here for the knowledge, I had the Snow Peak for over a year (got in a trade) but did not think to try it over a bottle. I carry both, but I am not weight challenged like you are (my weight challenge is not so much what I can carry! :-).

The best,

Jerry

Thanks Jerry!

I put a bandana in the kettle for both prefiltering water and for wrapping the sotve after use. A little bag may work better.

This pack is going to a platform for a new more robust dayhike kit as I start putting the miles back on. The older I get the ore I lean towards to a more minimalist and bushcrafty set-up. I'm sure it won't be long before I tweak it again, and going lighter will be on the To Do list.

FWIW, I've got my eye on making some leather puches while I'm on maternity leave. I'd like a couple for my fire and food kits.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA