Originally Posted By: Paul D.
Originally Posted By: Roarmeister

Good tips - but my line of thinking is in regards to animals on the trail not other humans. Seriously, when would somebody be using a collapsible walking stick? On the trail. What do you meet on the trail that is dangerous? I am thinking of things like bears, cougars, wolves, coyotes, elk, and yes even deer.

Your experiences must be very different than mine. Apart from startling a bear, or encountering a mother with cubs, I don't worry that much about wild animals. Attacks do happen, but very rarely. Human beings and their animals (dogs especially) are way more dangerous. Most of the people I've encountered over the years in the woods have been fine, but certainly not all of them. "Friendly" dogs off leash have caused me far more scares than wilder critters and people though.

Apparently different. I thought through all my years of my years camping and backpacking and honestly I do not remember even 1 case where I have encounted an beligerient, aggressive or threatening person in the backcountry. A noisy or boisterous personality perhaps but not one that possed any danger to myself. And very few threatening dogs. I usually am in the backcountry by myself too. My trips have been to my fellow Canadian provinces of BC,AB,SK,MB,ON,NWT and the northern US states of MN,WI,ND,SD,WY,MT,ID,WA

Urban areas and front country campsites - that now thats a different kettle altogether!