We've got a lot of squirrels around here, but not enough to sustain us for long. About the only huntable "wild game" we see around here routinely are coyotes. We used to have racoons, but then the foxes came and ate them. Then the coyotes came and ate the foxes. Occassionally a couger comes in to snatch a coyote, but you rarely (if ever) see them. Sometimes bears, but I don't think they come for anything other than garbage cans. I guess you could hunt and eat a coyote if you were hungry enough. But still, there aren't enough to go around for the whole city. We have tons of geese now. They show up twice a year. Quite a nuisense, but for the few weeks they are here each migration, they would be very easy pickin's for a meal. You could get them easily with any weapon, including a broom. They're just wandering around all the open spaces, especially near water.

I saw posted somewhere, maybe even here on ETS, that instead of "hunting" squirrels with firearms, pellet guns, slingshots or what have you, it would be easier to just use use large mouse traps (the one's sized for rats) loaded with peanut butter as bait. That makes a lot of sense. I don't think I'd even have to bait mine. I could just set the spring, and then lay them down in our compost bin - which attracts squirrels like it was a gourmet restaurant.