Originally Posted By: haertig
Originally Posted By: nursemike
When my kids became teenagers, I sold off the gun collection cuz they were better at finding things than I was at hiding things, and I could not chance the consequences...

You should have read the book by Mas Ayoob, "Gunproof your Children" (as opposed to "Childproof your Guns") before getting rid of your firearms. Sounds like you had some nice guns that you'll never see again for no good reason. Bummer.

First off, excellent choice Mike. I have to disagree with the "no good reason" comment. You weren't comfortable with your situation and you fixed it. Better safe than sorry, especially when it comes to kids and weapons. If you had an inkling of doubt, I say you made the right choice.

Second, re the Ayoob quote, why wouldn't you do both? I don't own a gun but I am not anti-gun either. Whether it's your kids in someone else's house, someone else's kids in your house, or a stranger somewhere in between, it makes as much sense to me to idiot/crazy-proof your guns, as it does to gun-proof your kids if there's a chance they'll cross paths.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA