Originally Posted By: nursemike
Sometimes kids are more complicated than even experts in child psychology like Ayoob can comprehend. Sometimes children are even more important than guns.

Doesn't have anything to do with psychology, nor did I say guns were more important than kids. How many OTHER homes do you think you teenagers might have visited where guns were present? Unless you plan to lock your kids inside your home only, never letting them go anywhere else, ridding your home of firearms is not a 100% solution. It might make you feel better, but it doesn't accomplish much if your true goal is to keep your children safe from firearms accidents. Teaching them about guns is much better, as they are then equipped to handle any situation they might encounter, whether inside your home or inside the home of another.

However, it made you feel better to get rid of the guns, so that is worth something to you. I am not knocking that. When my kids were younger, all firearms were religiously locked up. But the kids were educated in firearms alongside that, and taught to shoot safely and responsibly. So I didn't have to worry if they were at a friends house where the parents weren't so diligent about keeping access away from kids. Now that they've grown, 100% lock up of every firearm is no longer a firm requirement. If I need to remove my carry gun and place it on the kitchen table temporarily, including fully loaded, I have no qualms about doing that now. However, I would never do that with young kids or visitors, even if they had training. If you felt the need to get rid of all your guns, I wouldn't argue with you about that. But I share in your remorse about losing some fine firearms...