My group rescued dogs and other animals upon request. The results were good for the dog, good for the group, and good for the public. One operation, which happened when I was out of town, involved extricating the pooch from a mine shaft. Mine shaft operations are inherently risky, but it was good training and good experience. I wasn't present at this operation, so I can't say just how nasty this particular shaft might have been, but the best of them are bad.

For many years, the largest voluntary contribution made to our group was from the owner of a dog we rescued.

SAR resources are not like a stash of candy, to be husbanded and doled out only on suitable occasions. Just like athletes, rescue groups need regular exercise and workouts. There is a "sweet spot" - too much work can be just as bad as too little work, but regular activity is critical.

I am sure the group in the story was aware of the demands put on them and was able to allocate their resources properly.

Our philosophy was to perform the rescue first and then debate later. Would you rescue those undoubtedly engaged in criminal activity? I have, and I would do it again, although one of those occasions involved one of those pesky mine shafts, one of the rare genuinely hazardous operations in which I have been involved.