As of late it seems like some of my pocket-sized tools have developed the unnatural ability to grow legs & walk away so, unless something turns up, I'll likely be looking at getting a new multi-tool for the outdoors. This would be something I would carry in my pack when hiking & backpacking; my fixed blade would be on my person. This tool would primarily be a back-up tool but would also provide some functionality nothing else I'd be carrying does (like screwdriver bits).

Traditionally the tools I've deemed most important for the role this tool would fill are; blade, wood saw, flat & Phillips screwdriver. However, I've been wondering about how pliers could, or should, fit into the equation.

My initial thinking is that the pliers don't provide too much benefit (in fact, searching ETS about this topic I found a few threads with me saying so), but am wondering if I'm overlooking something. That said, it seems that if I bypass the Leathermans of the world and look more at SAKs that I could either get a smaller, lighter tool with all other things being similar (like the Hiker) OR I could get a bigger blade & larger, more effective saw in a package of similar bulk, but still somewhat lighter (like the OHT or maybe even the Outrider).

I'm also hesitent to spend too much on this replacement tool so, for a pliers based tool, I'd likely be considering something like the Sidekick (which falls into the same price range as the SAKs linked above).

So, given I'd be looking at an increase in bulk and/or weight over a SAK (depending on the route taken), what benefits do you see that would make the pliers a worthwhile addition?

As an aside, I do have a Skeletool CX and carry it everyday (and love it) but I usually do not bring it into the woods; it's primarily an urban tool in my eyes.