I am an avid (aging) backpacker, camper, climber in all season and ALL areas desert, mountain, deep South, cold North. I have.......5 or so higher end bags here, from down/Gortex, to nylon/down, and one Mil. sleep system. My 10 year old is using it. I "stole" it as well, like $45 for two of the bivies (one digi, one woodland camo), one summer (green part) and on winter (black part) and two stuff sacks at a local flea market. I like it. Yes, a little heavier than some but I would have spent 3x's as much if needed. I like the versatility of it. I had spent 200 days a year for 4 years as an Experiential Ed. counselor and equipment manager for the camp, think Outward Bound for troubled teens. I know alot about most gear. I never had synthetic bags as the older versions didnt last near as long as down, today they are better.

I would not hestitate to pick up a mil spec sleep system if the opportunity presented itself. I would also encourage you to get a mil poncho liner, sew a long zipper onto two sides. This accompanied by a bivy can be good down to 40 degrees or better (depends on how warm you sleep).

Ironwood

Edited by Ironwood (12/07/12 01:01 AM)