Originally Posted By: spuds
Bingley....OK,situations asked for and situations where it may be used were given. From low to high threat I see uses.

Take it or leave it,Im not here to argue why,Im doing it.I dont need to justify to your satisfaction WHY,nor 'stick to a level,etc'.I am getting a cane/stick, I am not being talked out of defending self and family, Im not here to be talked out of it,thank you very much.Thats not happening.

When youve faced the threat,BTDT,talk to me on the why fors,until then,what you think I NEED doesnt really matter,thats your take,not mine. So dont get mad when your advice isnt relevant to my situation.

What makes you think that other people here haven't faced similar or worse situations?

Let me be blunt, because I am trying to help you. I don't want you to get hurt, and I can't help if I mince words. Even with a stick, you are still easy prey. I think you want to carry the stick for psychological reassurance, not for actual use. If you are really worried about serious threat to life and limb, about fighting for your life, you'd be training very hard. You're likely to face armed enemies, and you'd need every advantage possible. And then you'll get, like, a 2% chance of survival. With a stick and no training? We're looking at 0%. You don't know how to fight, and getting a stick isn't going to change that. Training is always more important than equipment.

Besides, the weapon you choose depends on your training. There are lots of "combat knives." Many proven styles of knife fighting would not use any of them, because their design is wrong for what they do. There are lots of "fighting sticks." Which one is suitable? The short, light rattan ones? The heavy six-footer? The one weighted on one end? The crooked one with what looks like a hook? That depends on your training, and you have none.

Maybe you are not facing a real threat. I hope that's the case. I hope you're just scared for no good reason. The right mindset goes a lot further than a stick, and you don't have it.

I hope this wakes you up. Take care of yourself. Be safe.

Edited by Bingley (12/03/12 10:52 AM)